Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Positioning while Writing


I had an out-of-body body experience this morning and was looking down on myself writing and thought 'She looks nutty! This got me viewing myself from above and agreeing! The cut of me while writing is basically some very kitschy night wear like a cast-off nightdress of a bunny or bear that has been given to me by a 77 year old mother-in-law sitter or by the very old mother-in-law herself. Hair is usually uncombed and in the throes of either standing out or standing up or sticking to forehead. Two silk cushions prop up my back against an unpainted cave wall (which actually is my pride and joy as was covered in plaster and we uncovered it and it really is beautiful- loads of geological lines dating it way back). Room is in practically total darkness. I lie on a futon at floor level and my laptop balances on my knees or sometimes chest if just reading and not writing. Siam, my very vocal cat, lies with his head just by my right elbow. Sometimes he tries to get between my belly button and laptop edge. He purrs a lot, he sometimes kneads the Thai silk overthrow that we lie on and he sometimes give one or two long drawn out licks to my arm. I usually have a large cup of tea balanced tentatively by my left side. It sometimes goes cold or I sip it pensively between writing/reading. Sometimes I make a wrong move and it spills and wets me but I still stay there, if the inspiration is on, I just can't move from there, sometimes the tea has dried in by the time I get round to moving. I may take a rest after an hour and a half or so, I push the laptop down so it is positioned by my feet and I stretch out dead-man style and drift away.

It retrospect, I see how I seem to need darkness and the soft tactile contact of silk or Siam to relax and write. Must admit to loving this set-up. I've never written anything in broad daylight nor while being aware of other people around me. I take notes while out and about, on planes, sitting in cafes etc but could neve actually write anything under these circumstances.

And this all leads me to be very curious about other writers set-ups while they write...I hadn't realised how crazy-sounding my way is untill seeing it written down ; )!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All Photos/Images/Text on this site are copyrighted.