Submissions - Acceptance and Rejection
Acceptance
1. Centrifugal Eye have accepted 'Meet me at a Confluence Point' and 'A Washing Machine Repair-Man Speaks on Poetry'. It was really nice working with Eve the Editor.
2. Wicked Alice have accepted 'Rejuvenating Alice' for their forthcoming Alice anniversary issue. I'm really excited about this as I've heard that Arlene and Michi will also be in the issue...I am struck dumb at being in such good company :)
3. Mike from Noo expressed great interest in the Lebanon war poems and would like to publish one or two of them in Noo. He wrote me a great e-mail which I can't help quoting.
'Hi Liz,
Many thanks for sending these along. They are great. Really. These are some of the most impressive "war observer poems" I've seen since Barrett Watten's book Bad History or Kent Johnson's Lyric Poetry After Auschwitz. I would like to see the whole set for sure.
You should get these published as a chapbook somehow. Unfortunately, we're not really in a position to do chapbooks or act as a press right now (we don't have the money), but if we were, I would definitely take these on. As it stands, I would like to see the whole set, publish one or two in NOÖ, maybe offer a few critiques here and there. And I encourage you to look for decent chapbook presses with a political bent (effing press comes to mind) and shop this series when you feel it's ready. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help...
Best,
Mike'
Rejections
1. Jennifer at Eclectica wrote me a really nice mail saying that 'A Soldier Sways on a Swing'nearly made it...and asking me to submit again at some stage.
'Dear Liz,
Thank you for your submission to Eclectica Magazine. After careful consideration, we have decided not to select it for publication. There are many possible reasons why a particular piece isn't selected, and I regret that we are unable, given time constraints, to offer further explanation as to which of those reasons applied to your work. As always, there are many authors and many pieces we would have liked to include, so know that you're in good company.
Best of luck with your writing and finding a home for this work. I enjoyed your submission; "A Soldier Sways on a Swing" came very close to acceptance. I encourage you to try us again in the future...
Best Regards,
Jennifer Finstrom
Poetry Editor, Eclectica Magazine'
2. Moria rejected 'Roots: Sold to an Unidentified Telephone Bidder' 'Breakfast Cereals, Picasso and a Sexual Snap' and 'The Wrong Miracle'...
...
** Am really happy to be in circulation...I think I could get quite addicted to submitting...must try to get in gear for writing again as haven't put pen to paper in 6 weeks due to being in holiday and family-absorption mode! :)
1. Centrifugal Eye have accepted 'Meet me at a Confluence Point' and 'A Washing Machine Repair-Man Speaks on Poetry'. It was really nice working with Eve the Editor.
2. Wicked Alice have accepted 'Rejuvenating Alice' for their forthcoming Alice anniversary issue. I'm really excited about this as I've heard that Arlene and Michi will also be in the issue...I am struck dumb at being in such good company :)
3. Mike from Noo expressed great interest in the Lebanon war poems and would like to publish one or two of them in Noo. He wrote me a great e-mail which I can't help quoting.
'Hi Liz,
Many thanks for sending these along. They are great. Really. These are some of the most impressive "war observer poems" I've seen since Barrett Watten's book Bad History or Kent Johnson's Lyric Poetry After Auschwitz. I would like to see the whole set for sure.
You should get these published as a chapbook somehow. Unfortunately, we're not really in a position to do chapbooks or act as a press right now (we don't have the money), but if we were, I would definitely take these on. As it stands, I would like to see the whole set, publish one or two in NOÖ, maybe offer a few critiques here and there. And I encourage you to look for decent chapbook presses with a political bent (effing press comes to mind) and shop this series when you feel it's ready. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help...
Best,
Mike'
Rejections
1. Jennifer at Eclectica wrote me a really nice mail saying that 'A Soldier Sways on a Swing'nearly made it...and asking me to submit again at some stage.
'Dear Liz,
Thank you for your submission to Eclectica Magazine. After careful consideration, we have decided not to select it for publication. There are many possible reasons why a particular piece isn't selected, and I regret that we are unable, given time constraints, to offer further explanation as to which of those reasons applied to your work. As always, there are many authors and many pieces we would have liked to include, so know that you're in good company.
Best of luck with your writing and finding a home for this work. I enjoyed your submission; "A Soldier Sways on a Swing" came very close to acceptance. I encourage you to try us again in the future...
Best Regards,
Jennifer Finstrom
Poetry Editor, Eclectica Magazine'
2. Moria rejected 'Roots: Sold to an Unidentified Telephone Bidder' 'Breakfast Cereals, Picasso and a Sexual Snap' and 'The Wrong Miracle'...
...
** Am really happy to be in circulation...I think I could get quite addicted to submitting...must try to get in gear for writing again as haven't put pen to paper in 6 weeks due to being in holiday and family-absorption mode! :)



5 Comments:
congrats, liz! itws-ers seem to be taking over wicked alice ... harhar. all part of the plan of course. all part of the plan.
and what a great note from noo journal!! but then, i am not surprised. the series would indeed be perfect as a chapbook. you might want to try foothills publishing, although i think their reading period has just finished. but you can always ask.
shame about eclectica - i just received a "yes". but it's an encouraging note you got.
happy for you,
m
Michi, thanks for stopping by ...and the foothills recommendation. I'll check them out.
Congrats on Eclectica too...:)
And as for Wicked Alice :))...
Liz
x
wooohooooo!! congrats on the acceptances, liz! particularly thrilled to be sharing space with you and mitzi in wicked alice. WE RULE!! heheh.
that's really great about the noo editor's letter, too. hope to see a chapbook of those poems in print soon.
do try eclectica and moria again. took me a while before they took me in. i think editors like persistence ;)
and i still say moria's got your name writ on it. it's only a matter of time.
a.
p.s. yay!! it's great to see you back! i'm glad the money plant survived. that towel idea is *brilliant*. my idea is to use a wet towel so as to avoid (my) constant problem of overwatering (my) plants. might work, yes?
Hiya Arlene,
Thanks muchly for popping in ...and for the encouragement to get on my dodgy bicycle and send again :)
Regarding towels and plants..the only thing about it is the logistics of space :)...you need a large receptacle to lay the towel on to saturate it and then its edges have to spread out enough to reach the plant pot!!! It's also not such fun for the plant leaves as the squishy towel kind of lies at the base....and there is the manouvering around the pots...but maybe you could do a minature version of this....cut neat towel square pieces, saturate them and lay them neatly on plant earth!yes, I think this could work :)))...I have a funny image of healthily blooming plants and their neat face-clothes :)
x
ps. oops I've just noticed all the 'neat' references in my post! :)
Dang, Liz! Way to go!!!
You are all over the place.
I'm thrilled, and even a bit jealous!
-lauren
Post a Comment
<< Home