Saturday, July 08, 2006

Cacti and Mud Festival

Cacti that are about to bloom



Mud Festival

The village are preparing to throw themselves knee deep into mud as I write. I hear the drums beating and the smell of grilled sardines is wafting its way down the valley. La Atalaya is a 'Pottery' village, they have a tradition of firing household clay pots, even though the pots they make now are more for ornamental purposes. The locals got together and started the Mud Festival about 10 years ago, squadrons of folk from all over come to rollick in the mud and get hosed down...afterwards its vino and sardines within easy reach. :)
I must admit to being a stick-in-the-mud (sorry :)) and just remain on the fringes snapping the goings-ons. Hopefully I will get to do this today too...but I'll take a change of clothes just in case!

2 Comments:

Blogger lorguru said...

pretty picture!
I loved your description of this unusal festival, including the sardine smells wafting through your home. I don't particularly like sardines, but something about the whole exotic scenario is so enticing.

12:03 am  
Blogger Liz said...

I'm glad you liked the picture and description...I love grilled sardines...:) I set out with camera and wellies to capture the mud slinging but detoured to do some long overdue sales shopping. ;)

Liz

8:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All Photos/Images/Text on this site are copyrighted.