Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Whirring, Clicks and Loud Pops


Crossing Swords with Technology

Gosh, I feel like a real dim-wit when it comes to the simple task of making
a recording, I keeled under. I just want to say thanks to Dave the editor of qarrtsiluni for coming to the rescue quite a few times.

First I made a recording using a mic from my stero system which was a total no-go thing to do according to my friendly computer technician who I spoke to afterwards. Unfortunately, it was too late as I had already sent the recording to Dave who very politely attached the finished product to let me hear how bad it was - bad = scarily tinny, poppy and clicky.

Afterwards I tried to phone in my recording using GCast. Everything was going tickety-boo except the computerised voice at the other end kept saying that I should
put in 10 digits for my phone number which was impossible as I have 14 digits as an International number. I tried about 4 times near the mid-night hour here and each time it was 'I fail to understand your number' yeah sure and me too!

I bought a new computer mic and couldn't wait to use it but had to wait six or seven hours or so as Vladi chose that exact time to bore holes into walls and nail wood in place to carry out the never-ending task of trying to keep our Jack Russel, Dick, in his very big den area, that he doesn't need to escape from but continually finds new ways to do so! Eventually nearing mid-night again, I did the recording with new mic and through WildVoice (very appropriately termed! ; )) Dave said he was happy enough with it but had to shoot down some whirrs, clicks and pops...thanks Dave. I think I'll go for this version as the other alternative could be to use a jazzier, newer, work lap-top and do it again ...but that involves finding a quiet spot at work and locking doors etc so maybe I will opt for keeping the not-perfect but more-or-less-listenable to recording... and to think I studied computer science not so long ago - lord have mercy ; ))

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh dear me Liz, I am laughing, but with you, not at you.

I thought I was bad, trying to get a quiet five mins to read mine into te mic. I'm looking forward to seeing your poem and hearing you read it! You'll be their second Irish accent :)

6:42 pm  
Blogger Maggie May said...

yikes, this doesn't bode well for me

10:19 pm  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks for stopping by Barbara and Maggie. : )

Barbara, believe it or not, I am feeling a bit jittery about it - first time reading aloud and all...that is, where anyone other than me and the pets hear me ; )

4:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just didn't even try, i was too daunted so well done on doing it! I enjoyed reading your poem over on qartsilluni...

9:18 pm  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks for stopping by Crafty green poet (like the name : )) and for reading.

cheers

4:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All Photos/Images/Text on this site are copyrighted.