‘Don’t Let Me Cross Over love’s Cheating Line ‘ - Secret-Poet Digs Heels in at Going Public’
(On the Spit (Vietnam,06))
(The Key to Happiness...(Farm, Spring 08))‘Don’t let me cross-over love’s cheating line…’ is a song that I used to love singing for visitors and friends when I was at that lovely innocent age before self-consciousness sets in…obviously, I wasn’t too aware of the subject matter of the song, must have been the melody that grabbed me or maybe it was one that was plonked in front of me and I was told to have a go at it….anyway, I really was into singing as a kid and had a whole repertoire that I sang for folk on demand. I have memories of having a used light-bulb as a microphone and going about a daily sort of business singing to trees and hay stacks and sitting on the tractor with my dad, singing my heart out while he ploughed the fields…nostalgia – better stop now ; )…
All of these memories have sprung from the fact that before long I’m going to have to go public with my poetry…I mean, ‘me with the poetry’ as opposed to the poetry on its own sweet-ownsome in some magazine or anthology – that type of going public, I’ve been dealing with – the other, where I have to ‘tag along‘with the poetry….well, maybe that’s where the digging of the heels comes into it…
Strictly Writing have a great post about Going Public (Feb. 6th). This is exactly where I find myself at now. Having a book published seemed like a brilliant idea at the time and still does but it is just now that the implications of this are sinking in….don’t get me wrong I am a ‘Get-up’ and a ‘Go-for-it’ type of person and won’t let the side down but I fear the crossing over from private-poet, nay, even secret-poet, to poet with readings lined up is quite a hefty cross-over. For starters, I haven’t written anything in ages, maybe three months or so, every time an idea pops into my head, it is swiftly sent hopping by a new sort of public-poet that is saying stuff like – get the proofs done, get in front of the mirror and get the practising in, get the begging letters out for ‘puffs’ and ‘reviews’, get the book out and read it again and again and again – what were you on about there? will that poem be fitting or not for an airing?, what 5 words would you use to describe your work to get the man/woman on the street to give you a hearing, what were you thinking of there? ...Ad infinitum...
Is this just some type of growing-pang? Have others had ‘cross-over’ experiences and if so, how do you keep your secret-poet part from not wanting to really clobber the public-poet part who keeps harping on about blurbs and stuff? Are the two reconcilable or am I destined to keep with the split and the consequences?...: )


11 Comments:
Yes it is a growing pang, and yes you do come out the other side of it pretty quickly... getting out and doing it does reduce all those self-critical inner remarks that you're making.
Bottom line: a worthy publisher took you on. Tag, you're it!
Cheers, B...can`t get the song out of my head now, am well and truly stuck with it and it's one of those whiney Country and Western ones...by somebody like Big Tom and the Mainliners ; )
It's excitement partly! And terror (what if no-one likes it...). And heading into the unknown...
Enjoy it...and do it your own way.
x
I would love to hear you read your poetry ...
There's a lot involved in getting a book out there and unfortunately it takes over the whole writing space inside you. It does pass, though.
I rarely write much when a new book is coming out and I'm promoting it. There just isn't headspace or time.
Hard not to worry though, I understand that.
Rachel, you summed it up really well...; ) and 'the own way' element - it's got to be that...hope I'm up to it!
Mimi, thanks - new laptop on the way so then I can record, hopefully! : )
Nuala, like how you refere to 'headspace' and time - that is so true...and the 'worrying' bit - I suppose it's human nature really...: ) Thanks
xx
Liz, I totally empathise with your reticence , I would categorically not be up for it at all.But having said that, you have (I've no doubt ) written a great book and that should give you the courage to go and do whatever you have to do.Funnily enough i was watching/listening to a local gospel choir the other day and this bloke was doing a solo bit and he was really in to it completely lost to the moment and I was envying his total lack of embarrassment knowing that I could never perform in public in a million years.Afterwards I realised that his was THE ONLY WAY, If you are going to do something / anything worth doing you have to give yourself over to it completely and utterly else there's no point or youd regret it.Besides you'll be totally fine, the only prob with performing stuff is that the material is bad but your stuff is brilliant and I'm sure will end up enjoying the whole thing.The deal is done ,there's no going back so,GO FOR iT!YER getting a book published thats the main thing, how totally wunnerful is that?
TFE, you are funny...; ) 'gospel choir'¿?¿ - I ain't about to lose meself to it nor 'perform' per se, in any shape nor form, it'll just be a plain old bit of reading....(minus lashings of sweat, I hope!) or I think I'll probably hire meself a poetry-stuntwoman and have her go and shake the poetry bits for me...; )
And I'm stumped about you not being up for performing, well not performing but just plain reading...wouldn't you do it? No way? Seriously, have you ever read your work in public?
cheers TFE
Only one poem once ever and don't talk to me about Big Tom , back in the 70's my friend Maureen cooked him a big plate of sausages and he didn't eat a single one , but at least Jim was on the gate and we all got in for free, not to see BT but some for the dance and me for the one-armed bandit coz it was broken and paid out everytime-happy daze.Now what was i going to say ,oh yeah, some advice about my advice- Always, no thats not right,err Never, yes thats it, Never take it,er my advice :) Is this deja vu ?I'm sure I've done this before.Beam me up Scotty.
TFE, I would have taken BT to be a big fry-up man - just shows you can never tell...and the one-armed bandits, Donegal used to have the most per head of pop. of all the counties ...a great claim to fame...our school tours all included a visit to an arcade. : )
And naw, you give sound advice, just am too cowardly to follow it through...
An aside: Do you know redmum's blog? - found her a while back but had forgotten about it ...she has great photos and does photowalk days and stuff... she's here if you don't already know her...check out the scruff of the neck photos...class work.
http://www.redmum.blogspot.com/
cheers
Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!
Post a Comment
<< Home