Friday, January 02, 2009

Post-Abba!



Well, I am none the wiser about whether or not there was a real Abba member
in the group! Some say yes it could have been Agnetha and Frida and even some suggested the two guys were the originals…the big question in the local newspapers today was who were the original members, if any, that were there…no one seems to know for sure!

I am ashamed to admit that we missed about three quarters of the performance due to a timing technicality. Here in the Canaries we are in a different time zone (and at times a twilight zone!) to the mainland, one hour less – so our merry gang imagined Abba would take to the stage at the midnight hour and thus we dined and sipped at our ease and it wasn’t until we had left the restaurant and saw in the distance the obvious signs of revellers in motion to Abba that we realised they had actually started at 11pm to ring in the year on the national TV for the mainland folk. We had to leg it along the beach front as the news was spreading fast that they were about to finish. En route we met various friends with champagne and grapes – the custom being that for every strike of the clock at 12, you have to eat a grape. I gave up doing that a long time ago. The whole scene was of people running with bottles of champagne and eating grapes – it was funny. We arrived in time to hear them play a few songs…two other fantastic bands came on after that though and we danced till 5 in the morning. It was a superb night but yesterday ended up being a non-happening day and I am trying to get back to life today.

Another blow to the night was that the battery in my camera gave up five minutes into the New Year – it’s a new camera so at times I wasn’t sure what I was doing with it anyway… I have got a sort-of-photo of both girls...it's hard to say if they are they the real thing or not? No one seems to know, or if they do, no-one is saying. : )

5 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Fox said...

I miss all night parties! Sounds great. And I'd forgotten about the grape thing.
x

4:01 pm  
Blogger Collin Kelley said...

Glad you had fun! Happy New Year!

4:51 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well you had a very interesting New Year start, compared to the one we had, which consisted of sitting in front of the telly giving out to Jools Holland for not having such a good lineout as he used to have years ago at his Hootenannys... give me ABBA or any live show & warmer climes any time!

5:03 pm  
Blogger Totalfeckineejit said...

Sounds like a rip-roaring night Abba or no Abba.
Be da way ,Agnetha,isn't she the one with the beard that played piano?

12:06 am  
Blogger Liz said...

Rachel, that'll be the last all-nighter for a while (long), I'm still not over it! Back to peace and quiet and writing. : )

'Twas fun ok, Collin, thanks.

Barbara, I think I remember Jools Holland as that guy who used to do bed-interviews with Paula Yates years ago...he sounds like a changed man ; )

TFE, you're right...who needs the real Abba anyway...and maybe so about the beardy one... ; )

8:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All Photos/Images/Text on this site are copyrighted.