Book
(Where's this guy making for at this late stage? (Teeny Santa in Santa Lucia Village - Dec. 08))
A great start to the New Year for me has been the news that
Salt Publishing will publish my first full collection of poetry in 2009. The collections' working title is The Wrong Miracle but I have a list of other titles I keep switching to as well!! Hope to get up the nerve to settle on one for sure soon!


18 Comments:
that's fanatastic. You must be really chuffed. When did you submit? How did it work?
Look forward to reading it! Congratulations.
x
Oh my God - fellow Saltee to be! How cool. Many congrats, Liz, I'm delighted for you.
The Wrong Miracle is a strong title. Want to share the others?
Nuala x
Congrats! My dear friend Cherry Floyd-Miller's just had her collection published by Salt. She has nothing but fabulous things to say about the company.
That's so terrific, Liz. Congratulations! Love the title.
all best
sarah
Kate, thanks.
I followed the submission guidelines on the Salt website by sending 6 poems or so at the end of Oct/begin.Nov., then they asked for more...there is a great list of do's and don'ts on the website which I tried to follow to the letter, practically, I think... : )
Thanks Rachel.
Hi Nuala, thanks, I'm well-chuffed to be in such good company...can't quite believe it! ; )
I like The Wrong Miracle
too but sometimes the religious
connotations of the word miracle make me doubt it! I have a list a mile long of other possibilites, I'll forward them to you to see what you think...thanks for asking!
Collin, thanks. Yeah, I've heard so many good things about Salt too...am really looking forward to working with them. I saw Cherry's book on the list - it is now on my 'to buy in the soonish-future' list.
Hi Sarah, thanks ...and for the thumbs up on the title : )
xx
Nuala (and anyone else interested) here are some other titles I have been toying with...what do you think?
Swarm North on Sundays (quite fond of this - a near first choice)
On the Brink of Monday (does it sound depressing?)
The Wrong Miracle (too Catholic?)
Cigar Box of Beach (like this - maybe too frivolous though?)
The Smallest Delectable (like the sounds and the way it sort of clicks)
Mostly, My Dogs Excel the Gods, and Other Poems (Name of a poem in book - kind of like it too but
maybe sounds blasphemous!! ; ))
Dear Little Umpteenth Time (? : ))
Dear Little Deliberation (fond of too!)
Thanks!
Hey Liz,
Huge congratulations!!!! I knew it wouldn't be long. Now I'll have a whole book to myself whenever I need my liz-poems fix. Yay!!!
Best,
Rach
Liz, my thoughts on titles, for what they are worth.
Nuala x
Swarm North on Sundays - this grew on me. Is swarm a verb here? It's active and interesting as a title, I think. (My joint 2nd choice)
On the Brink of Monday - too many books already with Monday in the title IMO...
The Wrong Miracle - my favourite, really. It's intriguing, different, makes you wonder what the wrong (and right) miracle is.
The title is advertising for the book; this one defo piques my interest.
Cigar Box of Beach - not mad on this...
The Smallest Delectable - again, it's intriguing and strong. Delectable is a good, sensuous word. (My joint 2nd choice)
Mostly, My Dogs Excel the Gods, and Other Poems - maybe a bit too long and unwieldy?
Dear Little Umpteenth Time - too vague, I think.
Dear Little Deliberation - no, sorry. It's vague too.
Hope that helps. Ignore it all either if it's just nonsense!!
Good luck, Liz.
Hi Liz, congrats on the salt deal theybeese really cool,im lookin forward ta getin da book. The wrong miracle is a great poem, ireally liked it and da wun bout picasso n his breakfast cereals. if I'm honest ,and ive been known ta be occasionally, I'm not sure of it as a buke title.Ilike either 'on da brink o monday or 'swarm nort on sundays' - sure deres only a few hours between da 2 o dem when ye tink bout it! Go with your heart- sure if ye ask 20 people ye'll get 20 opinions.It is a hard decision but isn't it a great wun te have ta be makin?
ps. if ye come up with a good title would that be known as a 'saline solution'?..............
..................... whistlin winds...........tumbleweed.......
....... silence..........I'll get me coat ;)
Hi Rachel, thanks...you are a true darling ; )...I'd say that over 85%of the poems were written at ITWS so a giant hug for having set up the haven that is ITWS! : )
x
P.S. are you game for a shortie 10:10 there?
Nuala, thanks so much for going through the titles - you're a wee dote, as we say in Donegal ; )...it was brillaint reading what you think of each and it is helping me decide...I am edging towards sticking with The Wrong Miracle, I think. : ) x
TFE, went to your place but all was packed away¿? Hope you're just doing a spot of re-organising and not moving to far-away shores...: )
Thanks for your feedback...must just do that - go with the gut instinct and heart - keep your coat on anyways, it's pure freezing here so must be doubly so over there. : )
Oh Liz,
Congratulations!! So damn cool beans, top of the bean stalk. Fantastic, I am smiling from ear to ear, for you and doing a happy dance. I like the Wrong Miracle Best followed by Mostly, My Dogs Excel the Gods, those are the ones I fancy the most. I am sending you a very big hug my friend.
xxooxoxox
:) brenda
That is so awesome. I can't imagine how great that must feel ~ such a major deal!!
ohHhh! liz! what wonderful news! can't wait to read it!!! just so great---*squeeeeeee*
humongo kudos!
xoxox
Brenda, thanks: ) and for giving me your choices - I think I have more or less settled on The Wrong Miracle too.
x
Mimi, thanks : )
Nic, a 'squeeee' and a few leg flings too... thanks : )
x
For what's it's worth, The Wrong Miracle is my favourite; can't wait to hear/see you in Ireland promoting the book ;)
Thanks, Barbara, will probaby go for The Wrong Miracle and take the risk of getting odd looks and queries from my folks! ; )
looking forward to meeting too! : )
x
Post a Comment
<< Home