Foothills Publishing and Cold Feet!

I just got news yesterday that my manuscript Deposits in the Heart Region was accepted by Foothills Publishing I am real pleased about this but maybe due to my sneezing fits I can only see a rocky road ahead as regards promoting it! I know its early days yet but at this stage I have to forward Foothills a list of e-mails of those interested in knowing about it (?!) and they mentioned radio shows and a whole heap of media outlets that have me caving in at the stomack - I have never read a poem of mine aloud but I think I could manage that part with some dutch courage tucked up my sleeve : ) But I don't know of any local radio shows etc who would want to know about the chapbook....here in the Canaries there is zilcho in the way of Arts in English so I think I may be flogging a dead horse. My only hope could be planning something in Ireland but even that would take a lot of organising and I won't be back there for another few months. The chapbook idea sounded lovely in theory and I am knee-deep in art ideas for the cover! but the whole business end will probably just sink out of sight for me! If anybody has any advice on what to do, I would be really thankful ...oh and should I share all these worries with the publisher or would that most likely scare them off?¿¿ Thanks : )


11 Comments:
Liz, this is GREAT news!! I'm so excited for you. You can definitely include me in that list of folks who want to know about it (if you don't have my email, let me know). Don't worry about the promotion, just enjoy this moment! Congratulations!!
Thanks Sharon - I'm a terrible 'panicker', aren't I? Getting up to 'High Doh' is what my mother calls it ; )...yeah will try to take it in my stride : )
I don't think I have your e.mail..can you send me it to:
elizavalido@yahoo.es
xx
CONGRATS! Chapbooks are *such* good news. When should it be out and about?
As for any advice, I don't have much being new to the chapbook game, but I'd say relax a little and go with the flow. You've got to be able to read the work and get it out there for reviews and such, ya know?
Can you do a lot of this by audio if travelling isn't an option? Think mailings and stuff, or record things at home, if you're able and send it out YouTube or some such...
It all sounds VERY exciting, and after all, isn't it what you *write* for??
Oh, do add me. I'll send you an e-mail from your addy in the above comment.
And, think about pals who could do reviews, journals that do chap reviews, etc. Oh, and didn't Michi have a chap with them? Maybe ask her.
Here's to a successful media blitz!
N
Oh Nicole, thanks a million - your ideas have me nodding my head good-oo and thinking yes, yes, yes : )
mucho appreciated
x
woooohooooo!! that is soooooo cool about the chapbook, liz! i'm so thrilled for ya!! i adore that heart graffiti — should make an ultra-cool cover.
the marketing sounds difficult. the idea of radio shows makes me want to lose my voice (littlemermaid-like) forever. maybe you can go over there, where foothills is — and have them arrange all the shows they want?
please include my e-mail addy in your list!
hope you've managed to strapped down your sneezing fits. if not, better strap that laptop to your body before it follows humpty-dumpty's example. heh!
and yes, you'll get a copy of my very secret chapbook — so secret it seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. hee. still nothing today. and it's been three weeks already. maybe we can exchange chaps? ***bright-idea smiley going off here***
that workman is a riot! is he still there?
i'm so happy that the results of dick's sexual prowess have taken a good turn. i hope to see pictures of the pups in a few months!!
a.
Hi Arlene,
Still in the land of sneezing and procrastinating about 'to chapbook or not to chapbook' : ) We'll see...
Yeah, hasn't the Dick story had a happy ending - well happy-ish- Vladi wants to buy him an electic current collar to control his barking!! He is getting too-full-of-himself...( 'He'meaning Dick)!
Hope the postie hasn't made off with your chapbooks - the cover was very tempting though : )...can't wait to read it.
Oh and the workman - on his final day, he announced that he didn't do 'electricity parts' thus leaving it to Vladi to do those intricate immersion tank connections - it's day 3 after workman's departure and we still ain't got hot water : ( but the bathroom looks cool - it's the smallest one in the world though and the sink and shelf are fitted in such a way that a quick-splash-of-water-on-face is impossible without wetting one's top clothing!
till later
x
Hi Liz,
Wonderful news about your chapbook. No cold feet allowed (this from a woman who never submits-do as I say and not as I do)..I would love to be added to your list of people who would be interested. I am very excited for you. The promotion part sounds hard, that would be hard for me too, but maybe just take a deep breath and keep moving until you are done. I sometimes have to interviewed for work by the news media, almost never in a positve atmosphere, and I have so far survived it. Think of it as an oppurtunity, a very cool beans way, to be able to talk about your book and poetry. I know you can do it! Dutch courage works for me! This is such wonderful news! I love Dicks picture at the top.
Hope you have a wonderful day.
:) brenda
liz, congrats again, and i hope you got my mail. no panicking, you hear? (says the woman with panic attacks, ha!)
cheers!
mx
Thanks Brenda and Michi : )
xx
Hi Liz - 'snap' on our site designs! Congrats on the book offer - I can empathise with your panic - I hate promoting my writing, and after years of thinking about it I've finally accepted that except through the blogs/my homepage I don't want to do it any more! You only have to do what you feel comfortable with... I hope it goes well!
Hi Fiona,
Nice to meet you : )
Thanks for your advice.
Will pop over to your Blog over the next day or so.
Liz
Post a Comment
<< Home