Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Treating Oneself to Books



I've just treated myself to some lovely books that I have been meaning to order for months, now seems like the right time, in anticipation of having my Fridays free after the 21st Nov. and the holiday season coming up. Even reading the list makes me want to hibernate with them big-time! ; )

Actually looking at the list now is making me think why I can't order books in smaller 'packages' - it seems to be heaps of books or nothing! Is anyone else of a similar book-madness-frenzy buying style? Also if you have read any of these books, I'd love to hear your views on them.

Poetry Books

The Lost Leader by Mick Imlah

Sunday at the Skin Launderette by Kathryn Simmonds

Drives by Leontia Flynn

The Clumsy Living by Bob Hicok

I Can Only Go as Fast as the Man in Front of Me by Frank Matagrano

What Narcissm Means to Me by Tony Hoagland

The End of the Poem: Oxford Lectures by Paul Muldoon

The Redress of Poetry: Oxford Lectures by Seamus Heaney

Other Books

The Anatomy School by Bernard Maclaverty

Change We Can Believe In by Barack Obama

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You'll enjoy Mick Imlah's collection: I thought it was really well done.

Also the Paul Muldoon and the SH: both sit on my bookcase and are great sources of inspiration; especially the Muldoon.

1:54 pm  
Blogger Collin Kelley said...

Books, cds and dvds are my favorite kinds of treats. Good choices.

8:48 pm  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks for your comments Barbara and Collin...can't wait to get them!

10:36 am  
Blogger Arlene said...

terrific book choices, liz! let me know what you think, especially frank matagrano's book -- i've always loved his writing. you can actually keep track of everything through goodreads.com, you don't have to be an author or anything. i've lost my to-read list so many times that i decided to use that. it's also great for networking once you've got a book out!

and yay for the book/calendar swap! i'll get my packet ready.

a.

p.s. yep, those seals were just there -- and making such a racket to boot. i have sunset pics, too... and there were a lot more of them during that time. i'd never seen such a concentration of seals in one place! my sister and i just fell in love with them.

10:35 pm  
Blogger Liz said...

Arlene, I've ordered some calendars but it may take a while for them to come here so no hurry with packaging! ; )...I've also been told
that they can actually sell-out
so fingers crossed I get some...
: )

Thanks for the info. on goodreads, I'm gonna take a peek... and yes those seals, an incredible vision to witness, I imagine ; )

are you game for a December session at the usual-head-banging spot?? ; )!!

xx

12:33 pm  
Blogger SarahJane said...

hi liz -
lucky you. it's so nice getting new books. let me know what you enjoy. i'm with arlene regarding goodreads - you should give it a try. a few months in you'll be hyperventilating about how much you have to read, but then rational mind kicks in.
best
sarah

(up for a round soon?)

4:59 pm  
Blogger Padhraig Nolan said...

Haven't read any of those (oh, the shame) except 'redress of poetry' which I can't recommend highly enough - informative, inquisitive and inspirational.
(what else would you expect from TheHean!)

5:25 pm  
Blogger Liz said...

Hi Sarah, will mosey my way to goodreads - sounds good...and I might give 10:10 a go in Dec...anything more and it's into holiday period. : )

Hey PJ, thanks for stopping by...and the thumbs up on Heaney : )

9:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All Photos/Images/Text on this site are copyrighted.