Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Not Much Movement - Right Part of Body Fall



Dick in his chained-up joint!? Luckily they put the statue on the dog-house as that's what first called my attention to Dick. I originally thought the statue was a real dog and couldn't believe he was chained so tight as to have to stand stock-still. I went to investigate and found poor Dick underneath. : (

On Monday night while taking Páidi my dog with me to seek out Dick's owner for the decision-making meeting, I slipped on an upward step and fell on my right side. The pain in my shoulder was real bad so I had to turn and go home. I'm still unable to lift my right arm much but it is getting better! Hopefully tonight I'll get to see this guy.

All is quiet on the dog front. Dick is now hanging out with Páidi in his penned in area - the antics of them both are so funny, Páidi is 11 years old so a bit doddery on his feet but he has been 'humping' poor old Dick every 10 minutes or so - they have relaxed now and there is no more humping scenes - Dick seemed to enjoy the intimacy and kept going back for more : ) Our neighbour's dog 'Blackamoor' also a male, (who I look after as well as the owner is an alcoholic and never there!)is outside looking in with his faced pressed to the fencing longing to get in on the scene!

Oh and I'm just totally amazed by some friends reactions to my concern for animals - the most frequent retort is '...but look at all the other suffering going on in the world and what about all those little homeless street kids etc ....' sure I know all of that is just awful but we would never try to change anything if we kept thinking of more deserving causes to devote time to...surely caring for animals does not equate with me not caring for kids, domestic violence ....sorry but I just don't see the reasoning in that?¿

2 Comments:

Blogger Tamira Ci Thayne said...

Hi, Liz,

Thanks so much for caring for poor old Dick! Not sure if you've heard of us at Dogs Deserve Better, but we work every day for chained and penned dogs. You can even have us send educational literature to your neighbor if you'd like, or to you to give to him by dropping an e-mail to info@dogsdeservebetter.org. Check out our site at http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org

And don't worry, people tell me all the time I should be working for people and not dogs. I tell them that the maker has different jobs for each of us...if they are most concerned about homelessness or children's issues then that must be their calling, so they need to get busy and start working on them. I myself have been called to help chained dogs, so I'm just following my mission!

Tammy S. Grimes, founder, Dogs Deserve Better

8:55 pm  
Blogger Liz said...

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for dropping by...I've been in touch with your organization and got some brochures explaining why it's bad to chain dogs - I've left some at the local vets and I intend to ask a friend to deliver some around here - unfortunately, Dick is just one of many dogs - it is a totally cultural thing here in Spain and it will take a lot to change attitudes. I don't want to deliver pamphlets myself as most people here are hunters and I must admit to being scared in case they would do anything revengeful to my own pets! But I am working on getting others to distribute here and I can do so elsewhere.

Thanks for your support.

Keep in touch.

best,
Liz

6:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All Photos/Images/Text on this site are copyrighted.