Listowel Writers’ Week Single Poem Competition
Since Blogger is on its best behaviour, I may as well keep going with the updates. I will go the long way round with this update… ; )
While in Donegal, myself and my father went to Letterkenny to do some shopping, my mum wasn’t feeling too well and I thought I would help out by buying some odds and ends for her as she doesn’t get to the shops much….by odds and ends, I mean household stuff – continental quilt covers, pillow cases, bedside lamps, saucepans….you get the picture!
My dad is not able to walk around shops so he stayed in his car in the Disability parking spot and I brought him a newspaper to read and an ice-cream cone. I knew where I was going to get all these things so just dashed off and told my dad I wouldn’t be long.
I returned laden down but knew I had to just nip back for a few more odds and ends…I said to my dad that I would also just take a quick visit to the Internet Café to check my e-mail. He told me to fire away and off I went. On this trip I had maybe two bedside lamps, a mat and a set of saucepans with me when I popped into the Internet café…quite a sight, actually!
I saw that I had quite a lot of spam and decided to take the time to check it as opposed to just getting shot of it like I normally do…and luckily I did, as there tucked away amongst all the spam was an e-mail from Listowel Writers’ Week to say that I had won first prize in the Single Poem Competition and would I be able to make it to the award ceremony. I was struck speechless! Having so many household items with me, I couldn’t just run like a wild one to the car to tell my dad, so off I went hobbling and grinning madly, saucepans clattering against bedside lamps….but it didn’t matter. I flung them all in the boot of the car, told my dad who rose an eye from the sports column to grin madly too and off we drove home like two mad-ones….
I was really excited about it all….but it did not last long as when I got home, Vladi had telephoned to say Mr Puss was missing. The strange thing about it all is that at about the same time I was reading the e-mail about the win, Mr Puss was disappearing! I cannot help but connect both in the whole universe scheme of things – thus leaving me a little mad and bargaining with god ….with such lines as – I’ll accept the Listowel win as an administrative error if I get my Mr Puss back….needless to say it probably doesn’t work that way…..but this is part of why I’ve been slow to announce this win…crazy or what? Sure is, but to heck…was worth a shot!


11 Comments:
Great to see you back on blogger, Liz! I am so delighted for you with regard to Listowel, well done indeed :)
Sorry to hear there's no success with Mr P... it's terrible when they go missing like that, you tend to think the worst. Chin up girl, you'll be right.
I'm so sorry he has not returned!! :-( It is good to see you back here again! And congrats on your honors!
Many congrats on your Listowel win. The cards are turning your way so I do hope Mr P returns from his wild sojurn. My sister's cat came back after 28 days so don't give up hope.
I'm typing this with gritted teeth because if you've heard, that means I didn't win for the collection. Bah!
Well done on the competition.
Maybe Puss has just gone off to the cat equivalent of pastures new. They are such beautiful cats...he'll be breaking new hearts somewhere else!
Lovely image of you and saucepans.
x
Hi Barbara,
Thanks...still can't believe it...the best thing is that the award night is on the 27th of May so the timing is really good as I'll be in Ireland for the Introductions readings so will be able to make both.
Yeah, I mustn't let my imagination run away with me regarding Mr P.
Hi Mimi, thanks...looking forward to catching up with your blog and seeing how Mick is doing : )
Kate, thanks...today is the 27th day of Mr P. missing so am holding out that he might come back. My sister's cat in Seattle returned after two and a half months, she had just adopted 2 kittens that same day when she heard the scratching at the door! She couldn't believe it! : )
Competitions are totally 'touch and go' things ...
Rachel, thanks... I do hope Mr P. is having a ball somewhere else... : )
And, yes those rattling saucepans!
x
That's brilliant news Liz, but not in the least bit surprising,your poetry really does stand out in a crowd.Ths is, as predicted, being some year for you.(John McAuliffe, be da way, is a nice man,I got a signed copy of one of his books for Christmas as my sister in law is a neighbour of his.)Not sure if even the sky is the limit now,some boost before your PI readings that's for sure.So nice but sad that you would have traded this fantastic news for news of your poor Mr Puss,don't give up hope though ,the rotund chan-teuse hasn't warbled yet.Maybe Mr Puss has found a Miss Puss and will be back when they have a row.Having fallen in love with our 'Molly'I empathise completely.Oh and please,under the circumstances, do NOT read my latest poem.'Cow cat'although intended to be humorous and based on actual events,it would be very insensitive of me to let you read it till Mr Puss is back safe.Finally,many congratulations again on Listo 1st prize-mucho deserved.
Hi TFE, thanks for the lovely wee note above, I am coming over all funny over the head of it...it's true that Listowel has given me a boost... as you know, I am a totally newbie (and coward!)in the reading-poetry-aloud field so anything that helps me there is welcome with open arms...( aside to God: 'if your're listening, the trade in for puss still holds though')
I don't know anything about John McAuliffe but must google some info...
Thanks for the warning about your cat poem, next time I'm visiting your blog, I'll be blindfolded and ear-muffed to the hilt! ; )
Oh and Mr Puss and a prospective Mz. Puss ?? Hope he gives her the big heave-ho soon then...!
cheers, TFE
Oh congrats, Liz!! Very well done. All my blogger pals are winning all around them. There's something in the air!!! Hope I get a bit of it!
Thanks, Nuala : )
Let me join the congratulations. Delighted to find out that you've won the prize.
Looking forward to meeting you at Listowel.
Paul
Hi Kat,
Nice to meet you, bloggingly- speaking...and 3 cheers for Letterkenny and what it does to and for folk! Fair dues on hanging the sign up even if the accompanying memories involve a painful incident. It's one way system was always of a dubious nature...it went pedestrian for 3 nights during the Fleadh Cheoil Festival and everyone was calling for it to be permanently kept like that! : )
Looking forward to taking a hop over to your place.
Post a Comment
<< Home