Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Oranges, Blackbirds and Kitsch




Juancito's farm is just full of the unexpected - we bought it quite sporadically and are just finding bits and bobs of land we didn't know were ours!! One terrace we finally reckoned was ours, and when confirmed, we counted 8 orange trees ---believe me, I never thought I'd see the day when I would be coming upon orange trees that ended up being ours : ))

Another nice thing was that a blackbird came to visit - omen or not, I'm not sure, but fingers crossed it's not a bad one. I had never seen a blackbird here before so am looking on it as good luck. : )

And the kitsch element to the place is sassy - today's kitsch photo is a door handle attached to a piece of wood that is holding up a branch of vine.

The flower is called 'The Bird of Paradise', the symbolic flower of the islands.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharon Hurlbut said...

Wow, Liz, this is very, very cool! Will you eventually build a new house on the property? I would be over the moon about all those trees. I'm excited to follow your farm adventures. And I'm soooo glad you made it home safely through the hurricane. Very scary. Is there any way to get to the island other than by air? Keep posting photos!

3:38 pm  
Blogger SarahJane said...

Alright! Brunch with fresh oj!
smile

5:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh! my hands are all flappy for you!!! and will there be a juancito's little farmers market??
more pictures, please ms juicy!!

7:28 pm  
Blogger Liz said...

Thanks for stopping by Sharon, Sarah and Nic : )

Sharon, yeah we hope to renovate the house one day (soonish, hopefully : ))...for now we are trying to save the trees and restore the walls around the land.

To go overland and by ship to the islands takes forever...I'm aiming to toughen up and keep flying ...or if not, I am doomed : )...

Sarah, Brunch it is! : )

Nic, thanks for the flappy hands : ) there is a market but we are just keeping it homely and we are hoping friends will come and plant for their own use and help us to look after it a little!

piccies and freshly squeezed juice to follow ; )

11:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All Photos/Images/Text on this site are copyrighted.